How To Teach Kids To Write Using Dinosaurs
Students absolutely LOVE dinosaurs! Check out how to teach your kids to write using these 5 fun and engaging writing prompts about dinosaurs. Use their love of dinosaurs to make writing a daily habit in your classroom.
Even if dinosaurs aren't their "thing," most kids can usually think about how great it would be to have a dinosaur for a pet or what they would do if a dinosaur showed up in their backyard.
Writing Teacher's Roadmap Get Started Guide
If you are following the Writing Teacher's Roadmap Get Started Guide,the Dinosaur writing prompts are perfect for Step Two - Make Daily Writing a Habit. The goal of Step Two is to establish a writing routine in your classroom so students spend time writing everyday. Writing prompts are the perfect resource for a daily writing routine.
Dinosaur Writing Prompts Include:
- Dinosaur For a Pet - Imagine you have a dinosaur for a pet. Your dinosaur is your best friend. What is your dinosaur’s name? What do you and your dinosaur do together? Provide details.
- Backyard Dinosaur - You and your friend are going out into the backyard to play when all of a sudden you see a brontosaurus. You can’t believe your eyes! What do you do next? What does your friend do?
- Picnic For a Dinosaur - You are packing a picnic lunch for a dinosaur. What do you put in the picnic basket? What will the dinosaur eat? What will the dinosaur drink? How big of a picnic basket do you need?
- How To Dress a Dinosaur - Your pet dinosaur is going to go to school with you. You need to dress your dinosaur. What will your dinosaur wear? What clothing will need to go on first? … next? …last?
- Dinosaur or Dragon? - Imagine you could either talk with a dinosaur or a dragon. Which would you choose? Why would you make this choice? What questions would you ask?
What Are Writing Prompts?
Writing prompts are ideas or topics that students can use to write about. You can use writing prompts each day to establish a writing routine with your students. Writing prompts include a number of questions to help students think about the topic.
Why Use Writing Prompts In Your Classroom?
Writing prompts are a great way to get your students writing. They help students to:
- think of ideas to write about,
- practice using different writing skills,
- create pieces of writing they can be proud of, and
- help students grow as writers.
Steps To Using Writing Prompts:
- Students choose a writing prompt. Provide your students with a choice of 2 or 3 prompts. I like to provide students with two writing prompts and then offer them their "own choice of topic" as a third option. By offering these choices, every student in your class will have something to write about.
- Discuss the target questions for each prompt. As you talk about the different questions, your students will get ideas they can use in their writing.
- Students write about the prompt. Encourage students to write as much as they can about the writing prompt.
How To Differentiate The Writing Prompts:
You can differentiate the use of the writing prompts by:
- scribing for students who have trouble writing.
- pairing up students to write about the journal prompts.
- providing students with sentence starters that answer the target questions.
- letting students who struggle with writing output use talk to text for their stories.
DIY Writing Prompts
You can easily create your own set of writing prompts to use as a part of your daily writing routine. By creating a bank of writing prompts, you'll always have ideas ready for your kids to use. Get you set of writing prompts started with the Growing Up Writing Prompts FREEBIE.
DIY Options For Using Prompts
Options for using the writing prompts include:
- projecting the prompts on the white board and letting students choose the prompt they want to write about.
- creating cut-and-paste writing prompts for the different writing ideas. Students choose the prompt they want to write about and glue it into their journals.
- adding the prompts to a binder or duotang in a writing center so students can write about the prompts in their spare time. The writing prompts help students develop their narrative writing and opinion writing skills.
Get Ready-Made Prompts To Save Time
The Dinosaurs Writing Prompts package is available through TeachersPayTeachers. This package gives you the five writing prompts in different options so you can choose the option that best needs your needs and the needs of your students.
The dinosaur writing prompts are available as:
- no prep booklets,
- prompts for rings,
- print and go pages, and
- writing center cards.
The Dinosaurs Writing Prompts are also a part of the Writing Prompts of the Week Club and the Writing Teacher's Roadmap Club.
The Writing Prompts of the Week Club is a great way to always have writing prompts ready to download and use. Each week a new set of 5 writing prompts is added to the club. The price increases each time new prompts are added. Buy your Writing Prompts of the Week Bundle NOW to save you money!
All writing materials featured on this blog are also included in the Writing Teacher's Roadmap Club. Do not purchase if you are a part of the club.
Until next time,
P.S. Many teachers are overwhelmed with teaching writing to their students. The Writing Teacher's Roadmap Club contains everything you need to become confident in teaching your students to become better writers. CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE CLUB NOW!